PDA

توجه ! این یک نسخه آرشیو شده می باشد و در این حالت شما عکسی را مشاهده نمی کنید برای مشاهده کامل متن و عکسها بر روی لینک مقابل کلیک کنید : Money - Finance Idioms

O M I D
06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
back-of-the-envelope calculation
This expression refers to a quick approximate calculation done informally, as on the back of an envelope.
I don't need the exact amount. Just give me a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

bet your bottom dollar
If you bet your bottom dollar on something, you are absolutely certain of it.
Jack is very punctual. You can bet your bottom dollar he'll be here at 9 o'clock on the dot.

tighten your belt
If you need to tighten your belt, you must spend your money carefully because there is less available.
Another bill? I'll have to tighten my belt this month!

born with a silver spoon in your mouth
A person who is born with a silver spoon in their mouth is born into a very rich family.
She never has to worry about money; she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

on the breadline
People who live on the breadline have a very low income or barely enough money to survive.
Due to the recent crisis, there are more people on the breadline than
ever before.

burn your fingers
If you burn your fingers (or get your fingers burnt), you suffer financially as a result of foolish behaviour.
Jack got his fingers burnt playing on the stock market.

cash cow
A product or service which is a regular source of income for a company is called a cash cow.
His latest invention turned out to be a real cash cow.

cash in your chips
If you cash in your chips, you sell something, especially shares, either because you need the money or because you think the value is going to fall.
Andy cashed in his chips as soon as business started to slow down.

chicken feed
An amount of money considered small or unimportant is called chicken feed.
I got a job during the holidays but the pay was chicken feed.

other side of the coin
When you want to mention a different or contradictory aspect of a situation, you refer to the other side of the coin.
The house is lovely and spacious, but the other side of the coin is that it is far from shops and schools.

cost an arm and a leg
If something costs an arm and a leg, it is very expensive.
The house cost us an arm and a leg, but we have no regrets.

cost the earth
If something costs the earth, it is very expensive indeed.
She wears designer clothes that must cost the earth!

at all costs
If you are determined to obtain or achieve something at all costs, you want it regardless of the expense, effort or sacrifice involved.
The journalist was determined at all costs to get a report from the war zone.

cut one's losses
If you end or withdraw from something that is already failing, in order to reduce the loss of money, time or effort invested in it,
you cut your losses.
The project is heading for failure. Let's cut our losses before it's too late.

O M I D
06-24-2013, 11:11 AM
deep pockets
A person or organization who has deep pockets has a lot of money.
Andy's business is not doing well at the moment. He says he needs a friend with deep pockets!

down payment
When someone makes a down payment, they pay part of the total amount agreed when signing a purchase deal or contract.
Emma and Paul are excited. They put a down payment on their first house yesterday.

go Dutch
To go Dutch with somebody means to share the cost of something such as a meal or a concert.
Young people today tend to go Dutch when they go out together.

eat/dip into one's savings
If you eat or dip into your savings, you spend part of the money you have put aside for future use.
I had to dip into my savings to have the car repaired.

feather your nest
To say of someone that they are feathering their nest means that they are taking advantage of their position in order to obtain money and enjoy have a comfortable life.

feed the kitty
If you feed the kitty, you contribute to a collection of money called a 'kitty' in order to help a good cause.
Come on! Every little helps. You should feed the kitty for a good cause!

feel the pinch
When someone feels the pinch, they begin to suffer from a lack of money.
With the drop in tourism, hotels and restaurants are beginning to feel the pinch.

gnomes of Zurich
This is a disparaging term for Swiss bankers who control a lot of money, are said to be uninterested in the provenance of funds and protect their clients' identity.
The gnomes of Zurich refuse to cooperate with the investigating officials.

golden handcuffs
The term golden handcuffs refers to a large sum of money or a generous financial arrangement granted to an executive as an incentive to stay in their job, or to ensure long-term cooperation after their departure.

golden handshake
A golden handshake is a generous sum of money given to a person when they leave a company or retire (sometimes given to encourage early retirement).

gravy train
If someone is on the gravy train, they have found an easy way to make money, one that requires little effort and is without risk.
Since the village has become fashionable, he charges for every photograph taken of his house - he's on a gravy train!

hard up
If you are hard up, you have very little money.
We were so hard up that we had to sleep in the car.

hit pay dirt
If you hit (or strike) pay dirt, you are lucky and suddenly find yourself in a successful money-making situation.
Charlie finally hit pay dirt with his latent invention.

on the house
Something which is on the house is offered free of charge, usually in a bar or restaurant.
The new owner offered us a drink on the house.

O M I D
06-24-2013, 11:12 AM
ill-gotten gains
Money, profit or benefits that are made in a dishonest or illegal manner are called ill-gotten gains.
He won money by cheating and is now enjoying his ill-gotten gains.

itching (itchy) palm
Someone who has an itching palm is greedy for money, for example tips or commission (as if putting money in the palm of their hand would ease the itch).
He's said to have an itching palm - he does nothing without payment!

keep your head above water
To keep one's head above water means to try to survive by staying out of debt, for example a small business.
Business has been slow, but we've managed to keep our head above water.

keep the wolf from the door
In order to keep the wolf from the door, you need to have enough money to buy food and other essentials.
My grandparents earned barely enough money to keep the wolf from the door.

a kickback
This expression refers to money paid illegally for favourable treatment.
The property developers were accused of giving kickbacks to the local authorities.

laugh all the way to the bank
A person who makes a lot of money easily, especially through someone else's stupidity, is said to laugh all the way to the bank.
If we fail to renew the contract, our competitors will be laughing all the way to the bank.

licence to print money
An officially authorized activity which enables people to make a lot of money without much effort is called a licence to print money.
The contract to supply computers to schools was a licence to print money.

live beyond means
If someone lives beyond their means, they spend more money than they earn or can afford.
The cost of living was so much higher in New York that he was soon living beyond his means.

live on the breadline
People who live on the breadline have a very low income or barely enough money to survive.
Due to the recent crisis, there are more people on the breadline than ever before.

live in clover
Someone who lives in clover has enough money to lead a very comfortable life.
I dream of making an enormous amount of money and living in clover for the rest of my life!

live from hand to mouth
If you live from hand to mouth, you don't have any money to save because whatever you earn is spent on food and other essentials.
Most families in that area live from hand to mouth.

live high off the hog
Someone who lives high off the hog has a lot of money and a very comfortable lifestyle.
Now he's wealthy and living high off the hog.

loan shark
A loan shark is a person who lends money at extremely high interest rates to people who are unable to obtain a loan from the bank.
The young immigrant was beaten because he was late paying back money to a loan shark.

O M I D
03-27-2014, 10:54 AM
۱) To be loaded (He is loaded.)
وضعش توپه
۲) To be rolling in it (He is rolling in it.)
طرف خر پوله

۳) Rake in dollars (He is raking in dollars.)
طرف پول پارو میکنه
۴) Streets are paved with gold.
تو خیابون پول ریخته
۵) Be well off (He is well off.)
وضعش خوبه

6) To be on easy street (He is on easy street.)
To be in the black (He is in the black.)
مرفه بی درد
۷) Penniless (He is penniless.)
Broke (He is really broke.)
To be in the red (He is in the red.)
بی چیز و درمانده- آه در بساط ندارد
http://pnu-club.com/imported/2014/03/96.gif Black account
حساب (http://www.elasoft.net/%D9%BE%D9%88%D9%84-%D9%88-%D8%AB%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%AA-%D8%AF%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D8%B5%D8%B7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AD%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%86%DA%AF%D9%84%DB%8C%D8%B3%DB%8C/) پر
۹) Red account
حساب خالی
۱۰) Easy Money
پولی که راحت و از راه نامشروع به دست می آید
۱۱) Con- artist (He is a Con- artist.)
Hustler (He is a hustler.)
متخصص پول در آوردن از راه نامشروع
۱۲) Quick-buck artist (He is a quick- buck artist.)
مفت خور
۱۳) Marry money (He married money.)
برای پول ازدواج کرده
۱۴) Money talks.
پول هر کاری می تواند بکند
۱۵) Gold- digger (She is a gold-digger.)
خانمی که برای خالی کردن حساب آقایی با او ازدواج کند
۱۶) Open-handed (He is very open-handed.)
Generous (He is really generous.)
دست و دلباز
۱۷) Miser (He is Miser.)
Stingy (He is stingy.)
خسیس

۱۸) What a rip- off
مگه سر گردنه ست؟
۱۹) It is a pig in a poke.
مفت گرونه
۲۰) Grease
رشوه
۲۱) Grease Someone’s palm.