PDA

توجه ! این یک نسخه آرشیو شده می باشد و در این حالت شما عکسی را مشاهده نمی کنید برای مشاهده کامل متن و عکسها بر روی لینک مقابل کلیک کنید : اصطلاحات آمریکایی 18 american idioms

O M I D
05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
bone-dry

Having no trace of moisture.

example :-

Believe it or not, I hung out the washing only an hour ago and it is already bone-dry.

skin and bones

a person who is unusually thin

When I saw Pauline, I could hardly recognize her because she was just skin and bones. Cancer exacts a heavy toll, I reflected sadly.

bone-idle

Extremely lazy

If you continue to be bone-idle, your boss might sack you.

bone up

Study intensively

My pen-friend Joelle from France is visiting me next month so I had better bone up on my French.

make no bones about

Act or speak frankly about something, without hesitation or evasion

They openly voiced their dissatisfaction with the service, making no bones about it at all.

a bone to pick

to want to talk to someone about something annoying they have done:

You bet I have a bone to pick with you. You promised to take me on that holiday but then you took someone else with you !

work one's fingers to the bone

to work extremely, especially for a long time

After years of working her fingers to the bone to give her children a a good future, she managed to achieve her goal.

bone of contention

something that two or more people argue about fiercely over a long period of time

The property issue long remained a bone of contention among the Tay siblings. It even prevented their getting together for a family reunion dinner during the New Year celebrations.

bare-bones

basic elements or essentials

How do you expect me to help you when all you've told me is nothing more than the bare bones ? I need more information, surely.

feel in one's bones

Have an intuition or hunch about something

Trust me; she'll be selected for the post. Don't ask me how; I can just feel it in my bones.

close to the bone

it is close to the truth in a way that might offend some people.

Of course it upset Mei Ling to hear what Lian had to say about Meng. Don't you see it was a little close to the bone ?

to the bone

completely

How could you keep me waiting so long in the cold ? I'm almost frozen to the bone !